Foundation contains a vitamin, mineral or a talc base. It helps cover up the flaws and blemishes and is an ideal base for all types of make up. There are various cosmetic brands that have developed foundations to suit all skin types and complexions. In addition to camouflaging imperfections, foundation also protects the skin against dirt, wind and environmental pollutants. It acts as a magnificent sunscreen, thereby protecting the skin from the harmful ultraviolet radiation of the sun. The moisturizing formula of foundations helps retain the moisture levels of the skin and the blotting agent controls oiliness. Foundation hides imperfections, enhances the skin color and gives the face a flawless look.
It is essential for you to know the techniques of foundation application in order to get a radiant glow each time you wear your make up. You also need to know which foundation will be best suited for the purpose of wearing it. There are three types of foundations— liquid foundation, cream foundation and pancake or solid foundation.
Liquid Foundation: This is the lightest foundation and is used for day make up. It can be applied with the help of a damp sponge or foundation applicator brush.
Cream Foundation: This is slightly heavier than liquid foundation and is great for providing a cover up for blemished skin.
Solid foundation: This is the heaviest foundation and imparts an unnatural look. It is ideal for photography and stage make-up.
Foundation application and selection:
The right foundation base is determined by your skin type and color. The trick is to choose a foundation that matches your skin tone to perfection. Cream foundation is ideal for dry skin, whereas oil free foundation works wonders for oily skin. Liquid foundation is great for all skin types but needs to be blended immediately as it tends to dry up quickly. You may use a shade darker or lighter than your original skin tone but remember that too much of a variation will result in a highly unnatural look. You can use a concealer to hide the under eye dark circles prior to applying foundation, but avoid overdoing it as it will project a painted appearance.
The shade of foundation you choose must match the darkest part of your face. There is a tendency in women to buy a shade lighter, thinking that it will make them look fairer. Never test the shade of foundation on your wrist. Dot your forehead with the different shades of foundation and pick the one closest to your skin tone. Avoid testing the colors in artificial light.
A beauty look that is natural and perfect can be attained with a minimal make up base. For an evening out, you can do with a glamorous look. A lighter and natural foundation looks good on any face where day make up is concerned. Every woman is blessed with her own unique features. It is entirely up to you how to camouflage the imperfections and highlight your assets. Even normal or natural skin tone is patchy and has dark and light areas on the skin. Foundation helps even out the skin tone and makes your skin look flawless.
Foundation Application steps:
- Cleanse your skin thoroughly prior to any make up application.
- Dab a little astringent, if you have oily skin and follow this with a light application of moisturizer.
- Avoid the use of a concealer if you are using a cream foundation as it has all the properties of a concealer.
- Put a blob of foundation onto the palm of your hand.
- Dot foundation on the face section by section.
- Blend each section before moving on.
- Start with your forehead and blend downwards away from the hairline. Move down the temples across the cheeks to the ear and cover the chin and neck area. Then work on either side of the face. Lastly do your brow bone and the nose.
- Blend foundation thoroughly onto the skin using your finger or foundation applicator brush. You can also use a damp sponge.
- While applying foundation on the eye area gently raise the eye brows and blend downwards towards the lashes.
- Dust loose face powder to set in the foundation.
With these tips and techniques of foundation application you are ready to sizzle and glow on any occasion.