Braiding is one of the oldest hairstyles of the world that seems to have originated in ancient Africa. It is a popular hairstyle even in contemporary times and looks good on almost everyone. The three stranded braid is the most common style worn by millions of women, teenagers and youngsters the world over. Other popular types of braids include the four stranded braids, five stranded braids, and the twelve stranded braids and so on. The more the number of strands the more difficult is the braid to do.
Most braids generally take around fifteen minutes to do but they are not very easy and need a certain level of expertise. Braids are also known as plaits and a person with long to medium length hair will look ravishing in this hairdo.
Rope braid is a popular braid that is so called because a completely finished rope braid just looks like a rope! You may think that it may be very tough to do, but it is really easy once you get the hang of it. There are two types of rope braids – the basic one and the French one. Here’s how to make the basic rope braid.
Steps to make the Rope Braid:
- Firstly, the hair has to be washed.
- Then, it has to be brushed till all the tangles have been removed.
- Now, the hair has to be combed towards the back. Make a neat ponytail, without leaving any strands. Tie it with a covered elastic band.
- Next, the ponytail has to be divided into three equal sections.
- Then, the right section has to be taken and twisted to the right side several times. Once you have twisted it, cross it over both the two sections (centre and left).
- Now, the original centre section will become the new right section. The new right section has to be taken and twisted to the right side several times and crossed over the two sections.
- Now, the original left section will become the new right section. The new right section has to be taken and twisted to the right side several times and crossed over the two sections.
- Continue in this way. Once the end of the braid has been reached, secure with a covered band. You can also add decorative hairpins with jewels to spice up your rope braid.
The time taken to do this hairstyle is ten minutes, but it lessens with practice. The difficulty rating given to it is easy. It is best done on long and straight hair.