Shampooing is one of the most essential components of any hair care regime. It helps clean the hair of any dirt, grime or pollution. It also helps get rid of the residue left behind by excessive use of gels, hair sprays, mousse, serums and colorants. Regular shampooing keeps the scalp clean and helps nourish the hair. Washing your hair with an adequate shampoo is essential for all types of hair irrespective of the hair texture and cut.
Hair shampooing protects the hair from the damaging affects of the sun and exposure to excess heat. A good shampoo does not interfere with the scalp’s natural oil secretion. It cannot repair or damage the process of over active oil glands. Washing the hair with an appropriate shampoo does not make it dry or brittle. One of the best ways of deciding which shampoo is best suited for your hair you must try out a couple of samples. The ideal shampoo will not dry your hair nor will it stimulate a greasy scalp.
A shampoo containing lecithin is great for dry hair.
- Oily hair can benefit from a shampoo containing a sulfur, lime or cedar base.
- Undernourished hair benefits from a good protein based shampoo.
One of the best ways to wash your hair is by finding two different types of shampoos and conditioners and alternating them every fortnight. This helps keep your hair lush and alive.
Avoid using soap for washing the hair as it tends to leave a dull film on the shaft which cannot be removed even by washing the hair with the softest water.
Steps for Hair shampooing:
It is necessary to wash your hair at least thrice a week. You can shampoo your tresses whenever the need arises. Shampoo your tresses only once a day. Over shampooing can damage the hair, robbing it of its natural gleam and shine.
Prior to shampooing your hair you must comb it to get rid of the tangles and knots. In case, the serum or hair spray has dried out, do not struggle with the hair strands.
- Wet your hair with lukewarm water. Washing the tresses with very hot water damages the strands making them look dull and lifeless.
- Pour a small amount of shampoo on your hand and massage it gently on your scalp. Remember to keep the thumbs at the nape of the neck with your fingers massaging the shampoo in circular movement on the scalp.
- Never pour the shampoo directly on the head.
- Never use fingernails to clean the scalp.
- Don’t pile your hair on top of your head while washing as this tends to create tangles and knits.
- Drape a fluffy towel over your head and let it soak the moisture. Never dry your hair by ribbing it rigorously as this tends to weaken the hair.
The secret of good shampooing lies in thorough rinsing of the hair. Well rinsed hair has a clear shiny appearance. Rinsing does not harm or damage the hair. It gives the hair a better shine and body and does not affect the basic hair color. There are various rinses available these days ranging from herbal rinses and protein rinses to acid rinses that nourish the hair.
To remove the grease and stickiness, wash you mane at least thrice a week and then rinse your hair with lemon water, beer or white vinegar mixed with water to get glossy tresses.
The selection of an ideal shampoo depends upon your hair texture. If your heir is very dry or brittle, you can opt for an egg base shampoo. Avoid using shampoos that have alcohol as they tend to dry out the hair even further.