Everyone wants to acquire a well nourished, gorgeous mane that has a natural bounce and sheen. Gorgeous tresses can be developed by proper hair care and nutrition. One of the most common problems faced by individuals is that of split ends which can make even the most beautiful hair look dull and lifeless. Split ends are also called Trichoptlosis and are characterized by the splitting up of hair into two or three strands. Split ends are categorized into four parts-
- The general split end
- Split ends occurring several times up the same hair shaft.
- Splits in the middle of the hair appearing as holes or dots in the strand.
- Knots in the hair strand occuring often in dry, frizzy hair.
Split ends are a real nuisance. They are ugly as well as unattractive and tend to cause havoc to your tresses. They make the hair look unattractive and brittle. The best way to treat split ends is bu going in for a regular trim once in every three months. This not only hellps get rid of the splits but also gives a natural bounce and vitality to the hair.
Causes of Split ends:
There are many factors that attribute to the formation of split ends, but dry ends that have been damaged due to exposure to excess heat top the charts. Excessive coloring, bleaching, or brushing also causes split ends. Environmental factors such as exposure to sunlight, chlorinated water and humidity also result in this problem. Split ends are caused due to the hair’s defence cuticle being ripped from the ends of the hair fibres. They can also occur when the natural oils from the scalp are unable to reach the hair ends. Other causes for this problem are:
- Dry Scalp.
- Intake of an inadequate diet lacking in protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals.
- Exposure to excess heat by blow drying, using straightening irons, hot curlers etc.
- Using colorants too often.
- Rigorous brushing of the hair.
- Using metallic brushes and poor quality toothed combs.
- Brushing the hair when it is damp or wet.
- Spending too much time in the pool.
Cure for split ends:
Once the hair is split the only cure is to trim it. You can ask a hair care professional to trim your hair in order to get rid of split ends.
Deep conditioning treatment also works well with splits. You must massage your scalp with oil on a regular basis in order to get rid of this problem.
Prevention is better than cure and the best way to get rid of splits is by nipping them in the bud. Dry, curly and frizzy hair is prone to split ends and they tend to occur in longer hair more frequently than in short hair. One of the factors affecting this problem is under nourishment.
Diet plays an important role in beautifying the hair. Therefore, it is essential for you to include protein rich food such as milk, meat, liver, fish, chicken, green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, soy, tofu, butter, cottage cheese, yogurt etc. in your diet. You must also supplement Vitamin A, B, C and E along with cod liver oil in order to treat this problem.
Other techniques to prevent split ends are-
- Avoid using harsh chemicals such as bleaching cream, hair colors containing ammonia, sprays, gels and mousse.
- Wear a cap to protect your hair before entering the swimming pool. Chlorinated water tends to dry the hair and causes split ends. Once out of the pool, you must clean your hair thouroghly.
- Use a Protein rinse to wash your hair. You can make ypur own infusion at home or get one from the market.
- High concentration of calcium carbonate and chlorine in water make it hard. A water softeningsystem helps improve the health of your hair.
- Avoid combing or brushing wet or damp hair.
- While stepping out in the sun, cover your head with a scarf, cap or hat.
- Use a good conditioner at least thrice a week to combat this problem.
- Use a mild shampoo for your hair and make sure to rinse it thoroughly.
- Oil your hair regularly. You can use almond oil, aloe oil, olive oil or coconut oil for a good hair massage.
Split ends are a curse for your hair. Therefore, it is essential for you to take proper care and go in for a trim the minute you spot them.